Rio Celeste Hiking, Sloth & Waterfall Tour
Rio Celeste, Sloth Sanctuary, and Llanos de Cortes Waterfall Tour
An adventurous hike in Tenorio Volcano National Park to see one of Costa Rica’s most famous natural wonders – Rio Celeste – known for it’s divine hue of turquoise. You will also visit Finca Verde, an organic farm and animal shelter where you will visit the sloths, frogs and more! Then to the breathtaking Llanos de Cortes Waterfall, well off the beaten path where you can swim under the falls.
Children: Ages 5-11 $95
Rio Celeste, Sloth Sanctuary & Llanos de Cortes Waterfall Tour Itinerary
Hotel Pick up or Meet Tour Guide
After pick up from your hotel, you will stop for coffee and/or breakfast, you will be driven 2-3 hours to Tenorio Volcano National Park. Or you may choose the self drive option and meet your guide at the Park Entrance.
Rio Celeste Waterfall Hike – Tenorio Volcano National Park
Upon arriving at the entrance, you will start out on a 2 hour moderately difficult hike in the park. Along the trail you will walk through the rainforest and along the Celeste River, where you can observe one of nature’s most intriguing phenomenon. After this beautiful site, you will continue hiking to where two brooks merge together, turning clear water into a divine hue of turquoise that makes Rio Celeste. This chemical reaction, due to the volcanic minerals, makes for an astounding sight that can only be experienced at this unique location. After hiking, you will head to another part of the river outside of the park where you will get to swim in the blue waters!! This is where you will often see sloths and other wildlife. This hike is a fantastic opportunity for healthy exercise and unforgettable experiences in one of Costa Rica’s most unique hidden gems.
Costa Rican Lunch
After your swim, we will stop by a local restaurant for a plentiful Costa Rican style lunch!
Organic Farm – Sloth and Frog Sanctuary
Take a tour on a rural organic farm! You will be taken on an inspiring and educational walk, showcasing natural wonders such as tropical plants, flowers, birds, sloths, frogs, snakes, insects and many more animals that inhabit the farm.
Llanos de Cortes Waterfall
To end the day, we will take you to Llanos de Cortes Waterfall in Bagaces, where you can relax and take a swim underneath the falls or walk around exploring the flora and fauna.
**Please be aware, on rare occasions the river may be brown due to heavy rains
Self Drive: Meet Guide at Park Entrance at 9:30 am & Follow in Your Own Vehicle
Hacienda Pinilla/JW Marriott: 6:00 AM (please let reception or security know we are coming to pick you up)
Langosta/Tamarindo Hotels, Condos, Apartments, Houses: 6:30 AM
Conchal, Brasilito, Flamingo, Potrero Hotels, Condos, Apartments, Houses: 6:30 AM
RIU Guanacaste & RIU Palace: 7:00 AM (bring copy of passport)
Playas del Coco Hotels, Condos, Houses: 7:20 AM
Playa Hermosa & Playa Panama Hotels (Villas Sol, Condovac, Occidental Papagayo, Secrets Papagayo, Mangroove), Condos Houses: 7:30 AM
Liberia Peri Supermarket: 7:45 AM
Andaz, Planet Hollywood, Four Seasons: 7:00 AM ($50 extra per booking, not per customer)
Dreams Las Mareas 6:30 AM ($200 extra per booking, not per customer)
- Pick up times are an estimate. Please be ready at the specified time but it may take us up to 20 minutes longer depending on that days pick up schedule and traffic.
- Rain boots can be rented at the park’s entrance. Ponchos can be bought there as well.
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- On some rare occasions after heavy rainfall, the rivers flood and the turquoise color goes away, causing the river and waterfall to be brown.
- 2 person minimum, if you are a single traveler, contact us to see which dates are open
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- You can rent a Go Pro from us for $40/day – option available at checkout
- We operate this tour rain or shine!
- In effort to eliminate single use plastic bottles on our tours, please bring a reusable water bottle. We have large water containers to refill them. We will provide one for you if you do not have one!
- You may cancel free of charge up to 48 hours before start of the tour.
- Cancellations less than 48 hours before the start of the tour will be subject to a 100% cancellation charge. Extreme cases are taken into consideration.
Departure/Return LocationJW Marriott, Langosta/Tamarindo, Grande, Conchal, Flamingo, Potrero, RIU Hotels, Ocotal, Playas de Coco, Hermosa, Panama, Planet Hollywood, Andaz, Four Season,and Liberia Hotels, Condos, & Houses
Departure Time6:00-6:30 AM (you will receive your pick up time upon booking)
Return Time6:00 PM
Dress CodeComfortable walking shoes and clothes for warm/sunny & cooler/rainy weather, rain gear, bathing suit, towel, sunscreen, insect repellent, change of clothes, camera, reusable water container
IncludedGuideHotel Pick up & Drop OffLunchWater
Hotel Pick up
National Park Hike
Costa Rican Lunch
Llanos de Cortez Waterfall
Tenorio Volcano National Park