Mixed Media – Beginner & Intermediate
APRIL 2nd – 8th, 2018
Natives Way Costa Rica and Dianne “Dee” Ziegler have teamed up to create the ultimate Luxury Costa Rica Art Retreat while visiting some of the most beautiful places in the country. Perfect for both Beginner and Intermediate artists, we will be using mixed media including paint, drawing pencils, watercolor pencils, and more!
SAVE $100 if you book by January 31! Promo Code 100off at Checkout
- 6 nights accommodation
- 3 Nights at Manoa Resort at Arenal Volcano
- 3 Nights at Esplendor Resort at Tamarindo Beach
- ALL ART MATERIALS including travel easel and art bag!
- Sunset Cruise with Snorkeling
- Waterfall Rappelling
- The Springs Hot Springs with Dinner
- Spa Day
- Entrance fees
- Round Trip Airport Transportation
- All Transporation to/from activities
Lessons Everyday Focusing on:
- Drawing Techniques
- Painting Techniques
- Collage on Sketchbook Cover
- Batik your own Sarong
- Abstract painting to live music
- Wine & Design Sunset Painting
- Expressionist Animal Painting
- Impressionist Painting
- Sunset Cruise
- The Springs Hot Springs
- Waterfall Rappeling (optional)
– About the Teacher –
Dianne Ziegler Lewis, ‘Dee’ is a professional artist and Art Educator from Raleigh, NC. She comes to us with a BA in Arts Education from Appalachian State University and has taught ages 3 to Adult. She currently teaches Middle School in Raleigh where she was awarded Teacher of the Year in 2015-16. Dee has artwork permanently displayed at Appalachian State and the Raleigh Convention Center. She also sells her work locally at markets, restaurants, and art studios.
Monday, April 2:
Arrival at LIR Airport, shuttle to Esplendor Tamarindo Resort with a stunning view of Tamarindo Bay from each room.
- Batik your own sarong/Welcome Dinner: After a long day of travel we will start you off with an introduction to the week and a fun, easy art class batiking your own Sarong to wear at the beach!
- Batik your own sarong using glue and acrylic paint
- Inspiration by the native leaves of costa rica
- In addition to the Batik we will:
- Go over the week’s itinerary and art project
- Introduce materials given
- Provide tips for travel in Costa Rica
Tuesday, April 3:
- Easter Art Lesson 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM: Learn the basic techniques and skills in drawing and painting. In celebration of Easter we will be using eggs to practice how to create a 3-dimensional form using drawing pencils and paint!
- Drawing Techniques
- Value Scale – What are drawing pencils and how to control them
- Learn how to use your drawing pencils to make 3-dimensional drawings
- How to create a shadow
- Observational drawing – how to shade a form
- Painting Techniques
- How to blend a variety of paint colors to create a realistic form
- Value scale with paint
- How to paint a form with a shadow
- Sketchbook Self Collage: When you arrive you will be getting your very own sketchbook to use during your trip! Learn some basic collaging techniques and have fun creating a cover that speaks to you! Tons of fun different papers and collaging materials will be available to you and you will receive your very own bag of goodies to use for the retreat.
- Learn collaging techniques
- Collage your new sketchbook
- Tons of collaging goodies to take with you
- Drawing Techniques
- Sunset Cruise on Antares 12:45 PM – 6:00 PM: An amazing sunset cruise from Tamarindo, you’ll set sail for the afternoon on an 80-foot Schooner with open bar, 6 gourmet courses, live music, snorkeling and swimming. The boat has large bean bag chairs so that you can get comfortable while servers bring you amazing food and drinks the entire afternoon until sunset.
Wednesday, April 4:
- Mindfulness morning Journaling– 9:00 AM – 10:30 AM: Come do some journaling with us, learn how to create some beautiful background pages in our sketchbook, come join us after yoga! Dee will be teaching some fun techniques that may inspire you in our upcoming art lessons!
- Learn about Dee’s journal artist inspirations
- Start some neat backgrounds for some upcoming journals
- Have fun relaxing and finding the confidence to create
- Abstract painting to local, live music! – Dragonfly Restaurant 6:00 – 9:00 PM: Learn how to paint using your intuition and the rhythm of a local Flamenco guitarist, Tony Putaggio! Music can be a huge inspiration for artists and can help you loosen up to paint abstractly! Learn the tips, tricks, tools and techniques by Dee and create your very own beautiful abstract painting.
- Learn how to abstract paint and be inspired by the beauty of Costa Rica!
- Use different tools and materials to create depth and texture
- Paint to local Flamenco guitarist, Tony Putaggio
Thursday, April 5
- Breakfast 7:00 – 8:00 AM
- Transfer to Arenal 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Wine and Design Sunset Painting – 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM: Sip wine, relax, and paint along with Dee! While we enjoy the sun setting for the day, learn how to blend acrylic paint colors to create your very own sunset on your canvas. We will then add a silhouette of the beautiful Arenal Volcano landscape. Dee will walk the group through each step of the painting, but you can add your own style to it as well!
- Learn how to blend colors to create a beautiful sunset
- Learn how to create a silhouette of Arenal Volcano and Lake
Friday, April 6
- Expressionist Animal Painting – 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM: The artist, Franz Marc was an expressionist painter who had fun with color and created one of a kind animal paintings! Learn the style and techniques to create a painting of an animal using arbitrary colors. Be inspired by using the local animals that live in and near Arenal!
- Be inspired by expressionist artist, Franz Marc
- Learn how to draw and paint an animal using simple techniques and arbitrary colors
- Create your own colorful painting!
- Tour: Waterfall Rappelling – 12:35 PM – 5:00 PM – You’ll rappel down huge waterfalls, jump into pools, zip down guided rappels, downclimb the canyon walls and river boulders, and hike up through the rainforest. We pack all kinds of adventure into the best canyoning experience in Costa Rica! Optional Add $99
- The Springs Hot Springs with Dinner 6:00 – 9:00 PM
Saturday, April 7
- Impressionist painting with a view! 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM: Today we will travel outside to a breathtaking view of the beautiful Arenal Volcano! You will learn the style characteristics and processes of painting like the impressionists such as Van Gogh and Monet!
- Learn how to find a composition and the process of landscape painting
- Learn how to paint like the impressionists
- Create a beautiful painting of Arenal!
- Spa Day – 1:00 PM – Until – Take the last day to relax in the spa with your $100 credit
Sunday, April 8
- Departure from LIR Airport
If you wish to fly into Costa Rica earlier and/or later, we will still provide your airport shuttle and help you with lodging for your additional nights. If the lodging provided does not suite you, you can buy the package without lodging and we will help you find the right place for you!